Cinnamon Bay Archaeology
Cinnamon Bay has a long and storied history dating back to the Taino Indians, the first recorded
people to establish a village near the beach approximately a thousand years ago. After the
discovery of the New World by Columbus, Danish and the English settlers established sugar
cane plantations and harvested bay rum using the labor of African slaves during the 18th
and 19th centuries. In 1913 Cinnamon Bay was owned by a Danish company dedicated to raising
cattle that were mixed English, Danish and native breeds producing a strong strain
established throughout the West Indies. In the 1930's, Cinnamon Bay was owned by a Puerto
Rican who continued using the land for cattle production. He set up a grocery in the
storehouse, which now serves as the Archaeology Lab and Beach Shop located on the beach.
©2013 Cinnamon Bay Campground, All rights reserved.